Green Tea Dashi with Salmon & Udon
- 10g dried kelp
- 10g dried shiitake
- 2tbs genmaicha
- 2tbs tamari, divided
- 1tsp mirin
- 200g dried udon
- 2tsp roasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 30g enoki mushrooms
- Half bunch Asian greens
- 2 salmon fillets with skin
- 2tbs peanut oil
- Matcha salt flakes
- Roasted sesame seeds
- Spring onion, thinly sliced
- Add kelp and 750L cold water to a pot and heat over low heat.
- Once steam begins to rise from surface of water remove kelp and add shiitake. Bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, turn off heat and soak shiitake for 30 minutes.
- Remove shiitake (save for later) and return pot to heat. Heat till bubbles begin to form in the bottom of the pot, around 80C.
- Turn off heat, add genmaicha and brew for 3 minutes.
- Pass dashi through a fine sieve to remove the tea leaves. Add 1tbs tamari and 1tsp mirin, return to a pot and keep warm over a low heat.
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions.
- Season salmon with a generous pinch of matcha salt.
- Add peanut oil to a fry pan and fry salmon, skin side down, for 4-5 minutes. Flip and quickly sear the other side then remove from heat.
- Sautee soaked shiitake, garlic, enoki and Asian greens in a wok with the remaining tamari and sesame oil.
- To assemble: place cooked udon in the bottom of your bowl. Add stir fried vegetables and crispy skin salmon. Pour over dashi and season with roasted sesame seeds and spring onion.