Shiitake, ginger, and sesame sauce by Cass Hay / Hara Wholefoods @searchingforcass @harawholefoods
What to buy: Cass Hay Vegan Sauce Duo Bundle
- ½ cup dried shitake
- 10 x 10 cm square dried kelp
- 1 tsp crushed star anise
- Thumb sized piece of ginger
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tbs miso
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 1 tbs rice vinegar
- 2 tbs olive oil
- In a heatproof bowl, add just-off-the-boil water to shitake, kelp and star anise (just enough to cover).
- While soaking, peel ginger and either grate or roughly chop (depending on the power of your blender).
- When shitake is soft, discard kombu (great for the compost / garden…. Or pat dry and fry. Or pickle. Or snack) and star anise.
- In blender jug, add EVERYTHING: shitake, shitake soaking water aka broth, ginger, sunflower seeds, miso, tahini, soy sauce, vinegar and olive. Blitz til smooth. Adjust to taste; more vinegar if it tastes flat, more soy if you want it saltier (and a lil squeeze of honey or a pinch of sugar if you like things a little sweeter).
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
Serving suggestions: drizzle on steamed greens/roast veg, fried tofu/tempeh, toss with rice noodles, spread on a sandwich etc.