Breakfast Donburi by Toby Wilson @tobywilson @tacokingsydney
Light soy sauce, ½ cup
Dried shiitake mushrooms, handful
Steamed jasmine rice
Seasoned laver (seaweed)
Rice vinegar, ½ cup
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bunch of English spinach
1. Cover handful of dried shiitake with boiling water. Soak for 15 mins then drain and reserve the liquid.
2. Add 1/2 cup light soy, 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar and 1 cups of the reserved mushy liquor to a pot, bring to a simmer and then pour over the mushrooms and set aside*.
3. Blanch spinach in boiling salted water for one minute and then dunk in iced water to cool. Remove from the ice bath and squeeze out as much water as you can. Add to a bowl w 1/2 clove of minced garlic, 1tsp sesame oil and 1tsp of light soy.
4. Boil eggs for 6 minutes, plunge into an ice bath to cool, peel.
5. Assemble mushrooms, spinach and eggs alongside a bowl of steamed rice, a side of sambal and a stack of laver. Sometimes I like to make little seaweed tacos with all the ingredients piled on and other times I’ll just whack this all in a bowl. Goes well w a cup of tea, a miso soup or a brekky lager.
*For best results, do this a few days in advanced.