- XO Sauce 220g- Lee Kum Kee
- Rice Paper 22cm 375g (approx. 40 sheets) - Chef’s Choice
- Shiitake Dried Sliced Mushrooms 40g - Phoenix
- Oyster Sauce (Premium) 510g - Lee Kum Kee
- Sambal Oelek 230ml - Huy Fong
- Light Soy Sauce 500ml - PRB
Prawn and Shiitake Mushroom Cheong Fun with XO Sauce and Mushroom Soy
- 1 onion, diced
- Vegetable oil 250ml
- Light Soy Sauce
- Rice Paper (2-3 sheets per person)
- Dried shiitake mushrooms (5g per person)
- XO sauce
- Oyster Sauce
- Shelled Prawns (4-6 per person)
- Sambal Olek
1. Prepare the onion oil – cook diced onion in 250ml vegetable oil over medium heat until caramelised, add 40ml soy sauce and remove from heat. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
2. Prepare the rice paper - Add 30ml onion oil to a large bowl of cold water. Add one sheet of rice paper and soak for 15-20 minutes until the appearance is soft and loosely transparent then remove from bowl and lay flat on a damp towel. Repeat this process for each as you prepare the rest of you ingredients. Place a damp towel between soaked sheets to prevent sticking.
3. Soak mushrooms in water and steam for 10 minutes, allow to cool. Once cool enough to handle – drain (reserve the liquid for later) and chop into a fine dice.
4. Prepare the serving sauce – in a small bowl combine 30ml of your reserved mushroom soaking liquid, 20ml light soy sauce, 15g sugar, 5g dark soy sauce (optional), 5g fish sauce (optional) and 5g oyster sauce. Set aside.
5. Coat the prawns with oyster sauce and XO sauce, steam for 4-8 minutes or until flesh is pink and cooked through. Drain off any excess liquid.
6. To assemble, place a small amount of the diced mushroom and 2 prawns on a rice sheet and roll up loosely. Brush each roll with some onion oil to stop it sticking, place on a plate in a single layer.
7. Steam rolls for 1-2 minutes until the rice sheets hydrate and become soft. Alternatively, microwave for 30-50 seconds on high. Spoon over your serving sauce (made in step 4) and sambal olek to serve.